Principal Mechanical Design Engineer - Oxon
My clients in Oxon are looking for a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer.
This role is commutable from Abingdon, Didcot, Oxford, Faringdon, Witney, Reading, Thatcham, Newbury.
My clients specialise in the development of cutting edge harsh environment optical sensors.
They have developed strong relationships with large blue chip multi-nationals throughout the world.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager you will lead and take ownership of the development of mechanical designs.
Being the main contributor, you will lead and provide guidance to your peers and junior colleagues to ensure continuous improvement of and adherence to high-quality engineering practices.
The main duties of the Principal Mechanical Design Engineer will be:
• Lead and own the development of mechanical aspects of products, prototypes, and production tooling.
• Ensure adequate materials and geometries selection for all product applications, considering environmental aspects, producibility and cost.
• Develop or lead external development of tooling and setups for manufacturing, test and production.
• Provide leadership and guidance to junior colleagues and direct reports to ensure excellent engineering practices across the team.
• Maintain clear communication with other engineering, R&D and production teams to ensure good alignment on goals, objectives and timelines.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent education.
• Solid understanding of mechanisms, electro-mechanics, pneumatics and thermodynamics.
• Strong technical and practical understanding of manufacturing processes, such as machining, welding, brazing, bonding, polishing and etching.
• Proficiency in creating complex models and assemblies in SolidWorks CAD.
• Proficiency in engineering drawings, and Design for Manufacture (DFM).
• Proficiency in geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
• Experience in development and production stage procedures ensuring equipment safety.
• Ability to use simulation tools for design purposes, including finite-element analysis (SolidWorks Simulation).
• Control design skills, including control for linear motion, ball screws, linear stages and motors.
• Ability to develop simple programmes and control codes (Arduino, C+, R, etc.).
• Familiarity with enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems.
• Solid understanding of pressure system safety and gas handling.
• Experience in implementing and following essential engineering practices, including change management, configuration control and risk management.
• Ability to write and work with technical reports and documentation.
• Experience in working in a startup/SME.
• Experience in working with optical fibre products and prototypes and understanding of common processes (e g splicing, joining).
• Experience in working with low TRL (Technology Readiness Level) technologies and innovation.
Competitive salary to c£68k and benefits package on offer for the right candidate.
To apply for this Principal Mechanical Design Engineer role in Oxfordshire please contact us ASAP!
- Start: ASAP
- Duration: Permanent
- Rate: Competitive salary plus benefits
- Location: Didcot
- Type: Permanent
- Industry: Engineering
- Recruiter: Blue Marble Recruitment
- Tel: 07720 841 444
- Email: to view click here
- Reference: MDEP-345660-AG
- Posted: 2023-11-17 17:17:19 -
- View all Jobs from Blue Marble Recruitment