Principal Programme Manager - Coal
Do you have experience of programme management in the delivery of environmental operational projects?
Are you a strategic thinker, able to formulate a long term delivery plan and make key decisions based on programme need and risk to protect the environment?
Are you a great motivator, with the ability to develop and support a team to focus on outcomes and deliver to an agreed programme?
If so, read on......
We are looking for a delivery focussed programme manager with a background in creating new and refurbished capital assets.
Ideally you will come from a water, infrastructure or environmental protection background.
You will understand the importance of risk management at project, programme and portfolio level, and have a good working knowledge of effective governance and controls.
You will have good commercial skills with the ability to track and manage programme costs within agreed limits, and anticipate commercial implications of an programme issues that emerge.
You'll be focussed on continuous improvement and will drive change to create efficiencies in delivery.
You'll be a great communicator and collaborator, with experience of working across multiple internal and external teams, and with external suppliers and customers.
We don’t expect candidates to meet every single desired qualification.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we'd love to learn more about you!
About The Role
Managing a capital budget of circa £17M per year, you will lead programme delivery of the coal mine water programme, providing strategic planning and delivery input to the in-year and forward programme alongside the Environment Strategy & Sustainability Principals.
You will ensure the team deliver, efficiently and to budget, the new build and refurbishment of passive and active mine water treatment schemes, the borehole programme and subsidence pumping station projects.
You will provide support and assistance to the Head of Environment Project Delivery, to ensure sufficient resources / capacity / technical skills are available to deliver the Programme and identify the additional skills / processes /development require for improved delivery.
You will work with other Principal Managers to share lessons learnt across programmes to drive continuous improvement in project delivery.
You will undertake the role of Framework Manager, effectively utilising the NEC suite of Contracts to manage Consultants and the Design & Build Contractors.
For more information about the role please refer to the attached job description.
Application closing date: 20th August 2023
Sifting date: 21st August 2023
Interviews: 24th and 29th August
(If you are unavailable on these interview dates, please make us aware and we will look at alternative dates)
Successful candidates must pass basic security checks and will be subject to UK Immigration requirements.
About The Coal Authority
- A market leading pension scheme - our employer contribution rate is around 27%
- A choice of working patterns; full-time, part-time, job-share!
- Adoption or shared parental leave of 26 weeks full pay (subject to qualifying criteria)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Diversity Network Groups
- Mental Health Allies
- Civil Service Sports and Social club
- Employee discounts
- Annual medicals
- £15 per month towards wellbeing
- A values based recognition scheme
- Flexible working arrangements to give employees freedom to vary their hours around personal preferences and commitments.
- Generous holiday allowance – 27.5 days annual leave, plus the ability to flex an extra 6 days in addition to 8 public holidays
- On-site free parking, tea, coffee and soft drinks in the Mansfield office
- Sponsorship and professional qualifications support
- Professional subscriptions paid
We offer different ways to work flexibly, and the following types of flexibility are usually possible: job share, flexible hours, working from home for part of the week and compressed hours.
Please feel free to talk about what flexibility means to you at your interview.
With a genuine commitment to flexible working, we believe that work life balance is incredibly important.
Who we are:
Here at the Coal Authority, we really are a great team to work with.
We’re united in our passion and commitment to make a better future for people and the environment in mining areas.
We carry out a wide variety of essential services from responding to coal mining hazards, to keeping everyone and everything safe from mine water pollution.
We are excited about what our future holds.
Our work is helping to develop a new sustainable source of renewable energy for the UK.
By harnessing the energy from mine water heat, we hope to play a key role towards helping the UK to meet net-zero emissions by 2050.
We truly are a supportive organisation where we all live and breathe our values.
We are inclusive, trusted and progressive in everything that we do.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion:
Here at TCA we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our colleagues, our customers and our communities.
We are proud to be an inclusive employer.
We are committed to developing a supportive, inclusive, caring and positive community.
We encourage applications from people from different backgrounds, identities, cultures and beliefs.
Diversity is vital to our success and innovation and is fundamental to our values of being trusted, inclusive and progressive.
As part of our commitment to increasing the diversity of our workforce, we provide a guaranteed interview to applicants who meet the minimum selection criteria who are disabled or from a minority ethnic community.
If you require any reasonable adjustments or alternative format application forms you can get in touch with us by contacting the team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 01623 637000.
- Start: 04/08/2023
- Rate: £53,934 - £56,000
- Location: Mansfield,England
- Type: Permanent
- Industry: Public_Sector
- Recruiter: The Coal Authority
- Contact: Admin The Coal Authority
- Tel: 01623 637149
- Email: to view click here
- Reference: 0164
- Posted: 2023-08-04 14:51:06 -
- View all Jobs from The Coal Authority
More Jobs from The Coal Authority
- Assistant Chemist
- Project Manager
- Assistant Financial Accountant
- Governance Support Officer (Maternity Cover) 30 hours per week
- Procurement Business Partner - Fixed Term Contract
- Planning & Development Team Leader
- Business Planning and Risk Analyst
- Innovation Business Development Manager (FTC)
- Finance Business Partner
- Project Manager - (2 year FTC)
- Principal Project Manager
- Head of Programme Delivery Inland Salinity
- Head of Sustainability
- Project Manager - Digital (2 year FTC)
- Property and Estates Manager
- Assistant Hydrogeologist
- Assistant Geotechnical Asset Manager
- Principal Mining Consultant and Information Manager
- Senior People and OD Business Partner
- Technical Lead