Do you have excellent programming skills from your experience in developing bespoke enterprise applications, with a broad knowledge of open source languages, tools and frameworks?
Are you able to lead and mentor a software development team to develop modern system architectures with a commitment to continuous improvement?
Can you provide thought leadership in the development, delivery and support of a diverse software estate and enjoy working collaboratively as part of a DEVOPS team?
If so, this is a unique opportunity, giving you the chance to lead our software development strategy, with exposure to the latest development platforms such as AWS.
You will work on our customer-facing e-commerce and back office delivery systems, supporting the operational business by designing, developing and integrating web-based Java solutions.
Working collaboratively alongside technical experts in our Development and Operations teams, you'll be exploring, learning and testing new technologies and then bringing the rest of the team along through a hands-on approach.
You will be responsible for setting design principles and frameworks for the team and shaping how we take technology forward in the wider business.
The successful candidate will have a mix of front and back end skills, a passion for coding and be able to talk to people at a technical level about designs and code.
You will be experienced in Agile software delivery and introducing Agile techniques, including test driven development (TDD) and test automation. You'll have proven experience of influencing and steering technical decisions on commercial projects and have been involved in all aspects of the software development life cycle
We don’t expect candidates to meet every single desired qualification.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we'd love to learn more about you!
About The Role
- Provide technical leadership, recommendations, steering technical discussions and decisions
- Hands-on Java development
- Employ Agile technical practices, including TDD, continuous integration and pair programming where appropriate
- Effectively collaborate with our in-house IT operations team
- Introduce open source products and tools to optimise the delivery, efficiency and quality of software products
- Work with key business stakeholders to understand and manage the commercial implications of software delivery
- Work with and support our key technical delivery partners
- Ensure that the Development team can sustainably support our varied software estate
- Demonstrate strong problem solving skills
For more information about the role please refer to the attached job description.
Successful candidates must pass basic security checks and will be subject to UK Immigration requirements.
About The Coal Authority
- A market leading pension scheme - our employer contribution rate is around 27%
- A choice of working patterns; full-time, part-time, job-share!
- Adoption or shared parental leave of 26 weeks full pay (subject to qualifying criteria)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Diversity Network Groups
- Mental Health Allies
- Civil Service Sports and Social club
- Employee discounts
- Annual medicals
- £15 per month towards wellbeing
- A values based recognition scheme
- Flexible working arrangements to give employees freedom to vary their hours around personal preferences and commitments.
- Generous holiday allowance – 27.5 days annual leave, plus the ability to flex an extra 6 days in addition to 8 public holidays
- On-site free parking, tea, coffee and soft drinks in the Mansfield office
- Sponsorship and professional qualifications support
- Professional subscriptions paid
We offer different ways to work flexibly, and the following types of flexibility are usually possible: job share, flexible hours, working from home for part of the week and compressed hours.
Please feel free to talk about what flexibility means to you at your interview.
With a genuine commitment to flexible working, we believe that work life balance is incredibly important.
Who we are:
Here at the Coal Authority, we really are a great team to work with.
We’re united in our passion and commitment to make a better future for people and the environment in mining areas.
We carry out a wide variety of essential services from responding to coal mining hazards, to keeping everyone and everything safe from mine water pollution.
We are excited about what our future holds.
Our work is helping to develop a new sustainable source of renewable energy for the UK.
By harnessing the energy from mine water heat, we hope to play a key role towards helping the UK to meet net-zero emissions by 2050.
We truly are a supportive organisation where we all live and breathe our values.
We are inclusive, trusted and progressive in everything that we do.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion:
Here at TCA we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our colleagues, our customers and our communities.
We are proud to be an inclusive employer.
We are committed to developing a supportive, inclusive, caring and positive community.
We encourage applications from people from different backgrounds, identities, cultures and beliefs.
Diversity is vital to our success and innovation and is fundamental to our values of being trusted, inclusive and progressive.
As part of our commitment to increasing the diversity of our workforce, we provide a guaranteed interview to applicants who meet the minimum selection criteria who are disabled or from a minority ethnic community.
If you require any reasonable adjustments or alternative format application forms you can get in touch with us by contacting the team by email at email@example.com or by phone on 01623 637000.
More Jobs from The Coal Authority
- Assistant Chemist
- Project Manager
- Assistant Financial Accountant
- Governance Support Officer (Maternity Cover) 30 hours per week
- Procurement Business Partner - Fixed Term Contract
- Planning & Development Team Leader
- Business Planning and Risk Analyst
- Innovation Business Development Manager (FTC)
- Finance Business Partner
- Project Manager - (2 year FTC)
- Principal Project Manager
- Head of Programme Delivery Inland Salinity
- Head of Sustainability
- Project Manager - Digital (2 year FTC)
- Property and Estates Manager
- Assistant Hydrogeologist
- Assistant Geotechnical Asset Manager
- Principal Programme Manager - Coal
- Principal Mining Consultant and Information Manager
- Senior People and OD Business Partner