Director for Law & Governance and Monitoring Officer
Smart Solutions Recruitment is acting on behalf of government led organisation based in Market Harborough who is looking for Director for Law & Governance and Monitoring Officer on initial 12 month contract, with possibility of becoming permanent role.
Please note: to apply you must be qualified solicitor that has experience as monitoring officer and have previous management experience.
Please read full job description to find out essential skills required.
Working hours: Monday to Friday office hours (some flexibility offered) totalling 37/h hours per week.
Hybrid working considered however appointee must be available to attend meetings.
Salary: starting from £77,184 p.a.
to £77.663 p.a.
depending on experience.
We will consider consultancy rate If that's required.
Start date: You will be interviewed mid May and appointed in as of June 2022
Job Description- Director for Law & Governance and Monitoring Officer:
· To contribute to the strategic leadership of the Council, assist the Chief Executive and the Deputy Chief Executive to ensure effective and efficient management of the organisation to meet Council Objectives.
· To lead and manage the delivery of the Council’s services allocated to this post in an efficient and effective manner, within the strategies and policies approved by the Council. Services to include: Legal Services, Democratic Services, Governance including civic matters and Monitoring Officer [Please note this list is subject to change and is not definitive.]
To lead on the development of strategies and policies for areas allocated to this role.
To champion corporate priorities and initiatives
To provide the necessary leadership, guidance and direction to all employees and to oversee the management of budgets.
To play an effective part in the corporate management of the Council through membership of the Corporate Management Team.
· To provide elected members with appropriate advice and guidance in relation to the development and delivery of council services.
To act as the Councils Monitoring Officer and specialist governance adviser
To assist with Complaints, Data Protection and FOI matters as required
* Leadership – to play a key role within the Council in role modelling the values of the Council at all times, and providing direction and leadership relating to front line service delivery.
Also to provide strong and motivating leadership for the Service Managers reporting to the post, whilst undertaking senior management responsibilities commensurate with this post e.g.
coaching and 1:1 meetings, service and financial planning, communications, performance management, health and safety, risk management, and emergency planning.
* Challenge – to positively manage ongoing improvements within services particularly in respect of Legal and Democratic Services by recognising the achievements of individuals and teams, whilst encouraging creativity and autonomy with responsibility.
* Financial and Corporate Governance – to ensure that effective financial and corporate governance controls are implemented whilst seeking ongoing areas for improvement.
* Support the Chief Executive in the wider corporate management of the Council, contributing to the development and implementation of policies and strategies whilst seeking ongoing areas for improvement.
* Elected Members – to work with Members to assist in their understanding and engagement of services and to provide them with appropriate support and advice regarding their casework and other council activities, including attendance at appropriate council meetings and developing a comprehensive member development programme.
* Community stakeholders – to build and develop effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders including Parish Councils, Business and Enterprise organisations, voluntary sector groups, partners.
* Procurement – to ensure that all procurement procedures comply with statutory requirements, resulting in efficient and effective provision of good services.
* Development/Training – to ensure that all employees and members receive effective and relevant development/training appropriate to the needs of the Council. To actively promote learning and development opportunities across the Council.
* Develop and embed a performance improvement culture that delivers results through rigorous challenge, disciplined execution, coaching and continual improvement.
* Identify and co-ordinating effective cross-service working to ensure a one team approach
* Demonstrate a commercial focus, which delivers the provision of essential services through a model that reduces cost and creates income generation opportunities.
* To promote equal opportunities in service delivery and employment practices.
* Corporate – to participate in the Emergency Planning callout rota of the Council to ensure compliance with the Council’s obligations under the Civil Contingencies Act.
* General – to carry out such other duties required consistent with the general level of responsibility of the post.
* Provide leadership and clear direction for services, with partners and in the community, ensuring that services are fully integrated into the Council’s plans and objectives
* Develop and maintain the partnerships required to allow the Council to have an influence on the local, regional and national stage.
* To carry out our legal and moral responsibility to report any safeguarding concerns involving adults and children, ensuring the recording of relevant information and passing it on to a Designated Safeguarding Officer’s, (DSO) or in the absence of a DSO personally making the referral in line with the Councils Adult and Children’s Safeguarding Policy.
* To ensure compliance with all Council policies and statutory requirements and guidance in relation to Equality and Diversity, Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety, Safeguarding and Communication and involvement policies.
Essential qualifications/ experience- Director for Law & Governance and Monitoring Officer:
- Degree level qualification or equivalent demonstrable proven relevant experience at a senior level or a professional qualification in a relevant discipline and relevant experience
- Management and coaching experience
- A clear understanding of the context of political challenges facing the public sector
- Knowledge of the legislative framework relating to the provision of services in the public sector.
- A track record of consistent and demonstrable achievement at a senior management level within one or more of the service areas within the remit of the post
- experience working in public sector desirable
If Director for Law & Governance and Monitoring Officer role seems right for you, please click ''APPLY NOW'' or alternatively contact Smart Solutions West Bromwich on 01213141369 If you have further questions
- Start: 10/05/2022
- Duration: 12 months, possibility of turning onto perm
- Rate: monthly paid
- Location: Market Harborough,England
- Type: Contract
- Industry: Public_Sector
- Recruiter: Smart Solutions Recruitment
- Contact: Kasia Bulhak-Svantner
- Tel: 0121 314 1369
- Email: to view click here
- Reference: J3916
- Posted: 2022-05-10 09:38:03 -
- View all Jobs from Smart Solutions Recruitment
More Jobs from Smart Solutions Recruitment
- Refuse & Recycling loader
- Household Waste Recycling Advisor Selby and Tadcaster
- Recycling Line Picker
- 3.5T Driver
- recycling picker
- Clean Room Production Operatives
- Recycling Operative
- Fork Lift Driver
- Household Waste Recycling Centre Advisor
- Recycling Advisor
- CSCS Labourer
- Part-Time Weighbridge Operative
- Training Officer
- Production Operative FED
- Production Operative BEN
- Production Operative FEN
- FLT REACH driver
- Rental Technician
- Print Operator
- Mechanical Technican